When you hear the words search engine optimization, you no longer have to wonder what everyone is talking about. Here are some of the most useful tips on site optimization that we have discovered. You can use them to improve how your site is seen today!
- Be patient, it takes time to rank well. It's not uncommon for it to take 6 months or more before a site shows up in the major search engines. So if your site doesn’t show up immediately, don’t assume something is wrong and start making drastic changes. The best course of action is to create your pages using good on-page optimization techniques and then work on getting links. While you’re doing this forget about the search engines and focus on building the best site you can for your visitors. If your site is as good as it can be, the search engines will rank you well!
- Add more content, no matter what the focus of your site is. Even if you sell a product, you can benefit from including lots of related content on your site. Not only do the search engines love it but you’ll also create a more useful resource for potential customers and get links from others who enjoyed your site. A few ways to add relevant content are to publish product reviews, include detailed descriptions of your products, allow customers to post their comments/reviews, write instructions on how to use your products or write related articles that help educate people on your industry.
- Don’t deliberately include misspelled words on your pages. Misspelled words accomplish one thing only – driving visitors away from your website. Unless you want to look unprofessional and untrustworthy then reconsider including misspelled words. Why would anyone include misspelled words intentionally? Because some SEO “experts” claim that using common misspellings is a good way to get extra traffic. But the search engine algorithms are not stupid – and they will recognize what you are trying to do.
- Consider the quality of the page you're getting a link from. When deciding whether to pursue a link from a particular site, some people will tell you to look at its Google PageRank Google. But even Google admits that it does not keep the PageRank value shown to the public up-to-date. Instead, look at whether the site practices good SEO techniques. Where do they rank in the search engines? Getting a link from a site that is already ranking well will help improve your ranking. Your site looks better by association.
- Make sure dynamic URLs can be indexed. Dynamic content is information that is delivered to the web browser in a different form than it exists on the server. It is usually pulled from a database and created on the fly at the server level using CGI programming, ASP, PHP, or by a content management system. Dynamic URLs, are the web addresses used to display dynamic content. They are easily identified because they contain a question mark. Although search engines used to have a problem with dynamic URLs, they no longer do as long as they adhere to a few simple rules. They should contain no more than 3 variables, not include sessions IDs and each query string should be less than 10 digits. If your site uses Dynamic URLs and you’re not sure whether you meet this criteria, it’s worth asking someone with experience in this area.
You have put a lot of effort into your website. The content, the navigation, the images… the list is endless. So why stop there? Optimize your site today with the information above, and sit back and watch how quickly your site moves up on the search engine results pages.